Go Bar!


Go Bar is an eclectic hipster bar located on Prince Avenue. If you're walking by, you might miss the inconspicuous "Go" sign behind the ivy covered wall and hidden outdoor porch. They host shows Friday and Saturday nights as well as DJ sets, karaoke, open mic nights and more. They advertise these shows with announcements and events on their Facebook page. They seem relatively new to social media, however, as their only platform is Facebook and it is not very thorough or informative. Their covers range from nonexistent to very inexpensive ($3-$5).
This past Thursday, when I was walking back from downtown to my house, I passed Go Bar and decided to stop in. They always have this disco ball (above) that has drawn me in occasionally in years past just to see whats up. People take the karaoke very seriously. The queue was 45 minutes long, and the people singing were much better than I will ever be, lets just say that. It wasn't just a bunch of drunk people getting up and singing "Don't Stop Believing," but I was actually so impressed by people's performances. I complimented one lady on her amazing performance of "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac and I think I made her entire year.
If you ever find yourself in the Prince/Normaltown area on a Thursday night, stop by Go Bar for some fun live entertainment that you can't get anywhere else in Athens!

Comments

  1. I love this idea of sharing about different Athens venues! I've been living here for over 3 years now and have never even heard of Go Bar-- it sounds so fun and something that locals here would be very into! I'll have to check it out one night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post! Never heard of Go Bar but seems like a quaint place where you could have a fun night with friends. I loved how you were able to shine a spotlight on a bar that isn't as well-known. Now that you've brought this bar to my attention, I will definitely stop by one night.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts