CBDB

This past week I saw one of my favorite bands in one of my favorite places, the Georgia Theater. CBDB is a funky jam band from Auburn, AL, and they come to Athens a few times every year. I first discovered CBDB from a Spotify playlist I followed freshman year. One of my good friends and I started seeing them every time they've come to Athens since. It's been cool to see them transform from playing at fraternity parties and rooftop to drawing a large crowd this past Wednesday night at the Georgia Theater. Last spring, they sold out Live Wire, so it was a natural progression to play the Theater this fall. They appeared in some big name festivals, Sweetwater 420 fest, Sloss Fest, Electric Forrest and a ton more, this summer and appear in the line-ups for some in the future. They're going to be in a small festival called "Funksgiving" in Birmingham, which they announced on their Facebook page. Cbdb posts regularly to Facebook and Instagram with updates on shows and merchandise.
Last year I was eating at a local restaurant wearing my cbdb t-shirt. The manager came up to me and was so excited because she grew up with the guys in the band. She sent over free guacamole and added me to a Facebook group called "we be cbdb":
This is a closed group were a few hundred fans share photos and stories from shows and festivals. They have sort of a cult following here in Athens, and I see a lot of the same people jamming in the front row at every show. They always play for hours and stay as long as their fans are into it. At one of my favorite shows they did a cover of "SpottieOttieDopaliscious" by Outkast. The entire crowd was going wild cheering on the saxophone player. Every show is different, with different jams and different covers, and they are always so much fun to see in any venue or setting. I have been cheering them on for years and seeing them succeed and appear in festival line-ups makes me so happy. 
A cool feature about the GA Theater website and the way they target customers is the "you might also like..." feature after buying tickets. When I bought my cbdb tickets Wednesday, a window pops up saying "you might also like" and lists shows similar to cbdb coming up at the Theater or venues they sponsor.  This has led me to buy tickets before, and this week I saw Futurebirds were going to be coming that Friday. I clicked and bought tickets right away and was back at the Georgia Theater 2 days after seeing cbdb. Music Taste is a great way to appeal to different demographics and customers and sell more tickets. Big name companies like Live Nation send me weekly emails of upcoming "Shows I might like" based on tickets I've bought in the past to see certain artists. It's cool that the GA Theater also does this, and it works! 
Bottom line is cbdb is awesome and you should check them out if you haven't heard of them!

Comments

Popular Posts